In what could be the largest implementation of a consumer-facing blockchain venture by a regulatory authority, India’s telecoms regulator, Trai is planning to make use of blockchain expertise to place an finish to cold-calling for as much as 900 million phone subscribers within the area. The information was reported by India’s Enterprise Customary, on Wednesday.
Following unsuccessful measures previously, the regulator hopes that blockchain-enabled tech will allow it to trace spammers even once they use regular phone numbers.
The draft rules set out plans for customers to offer consent over unsolicited calls which shall be reviewed periodically. The regulator plans to make use of blockchain expertise to file communication between people and corporations to substantiate whether or not or not that particular person has consented. Trai is exploring alternative ways of utilizing the expertise to attain their goals.
Trai Chairman RS Sharma mentioned: “Blockchain will guarantee two issues — non-repudiation and confidentiality. Solely these licensed will be capable of entry particulars of a subscriber and solely when they should ship service… Trai will change into the primary group to implement this sort of a regulation.”
At current, India has a particular numbering system for telemarketing corporations to make use of however these are straightforward for people to determine and block. As an alternative, corporations have been utilizing common 10-digit telephone numbers for cold-calling that are modified often.
Chilly-calling has been a giant concern in India, with some callers being given monetary ‘affords’. Some people have been offered with alternatives that may supposedly double their funds. Sharma mentioned that Trai will use each regulation and expertise to handle these considerations.
Blockchain expertise is relevant on this use-case as a result of it supplies an immutable publicly out there file. Which means as soon as a spammer is recognized by a number of callers then this info could be shortly accessed by different events and can’t be modified.
The draft rules shall be out there for public remark till June 11. The ultimate rules, which is able to contain blockchain expertise, shall be launched by July.
- Indian Telecoms Regulator Targets Cold-Calling with Major Blockchain Project – Might 31, 2018
- China Set for Giant-Scale Blockchain Functions by 2019 – Might 31, 2018
- SoftBank Pairs with Cloudminds for Blockchain Authentication Answer – Might 30, 2018
- DFINITY and CoinList Launch ‘Largest Airdrop in Historical past’ – Might 30, 2018
- Blockchain to Play ‘Major Position’ in Items Trade: Deloitte Report – Might 30, 2018
- UK’s Monetary Watchdog Targets Crypto Companies – Might 29, 2018
- Overstock’s tZero Groups with BOX Digital for First Safety Token Trade – Might 28, 2018
- Microsoft-Backed Insurwave Showcases Actual-World Use – Might 25, 2018
- Commerzbank Executes First Company FX Deal on Blockchain in Germany – Might 24, 2018
- Ben & Jerry’s Backs Poseidon’s Local weather Change Initiative – Might 24, 2018
- Swachhcoin to Use Blockchain to Mitigate Waste Disaster, Airdrop Tomorrow – Might 23, 2018
- Tezos Basis Backs Blockchain Analysis by Inria and Tarides – Might 23, 2018
- Tezos Expands with Two New R&D Partnerships – Might 23, 2018
View All Articles